Below a list of the items you will need to get your permit of stay in Italy, in order to study, work or do other activities in the Italian territory. Reading this article you will know what is a permesso di soggiorno, what documents you need to get it, and where to get them order to obtain the “mythical” Italian permesso di soggiorno.

Permesso di Soggiorno: what you need to get it

1) Download the Form for the Permesso di Soggiorno

First of all click on the active link above to download the Permit_of_Stay_Form_Template. If you don’t have a printer you can get a paper copy at the Questura (Italian Police Station). For example if you live in Milan it is in Via Montebello, 26, if you live in Rome the Questura is in Via Teofilo Patini. If you live in Florence in Via della Fortezza, 17 or in Via Zara n°2. Please when you go there be prepared to be very very patient because people from all around the world will be in line with you…

2) Photocopies of the first page of your Passport and your Visa permission

3) Four Passport Photos

If you are looking for photo booths, you can usually found them at the central train station in Milan, Rome, Bologna, Turin, Florence and Naples. Alternatively you will have the possibility to get your passport photos near the main post office. If you have children, you need to add 4 passport photos of any children under the age of 14 to get the Italian
residence permit. Please also consider that children must be present when the Police will call you to validate your permit.

4) A ‘Marca da Bollo’

This is a special stamp issued by the Italian government and used as payment method for the validation of public deeds and documents. The Marca da Bollo you need for your Permesso di Soggiorno costs 16 Euros and can be bought at a Tobacco Shop (Tabaccheria) or Ricevitoria.

5) Codice Fiscale – Italian Fiscal Code

During your stay in Rome, Venice, Milan, Turin, Padua, Florence, Bologna or elsewhere in Italy you will certainly have to get soon, the ‘Codice Fiscale‘ (the Italian Tax-Code Number). It is mandatory for many activities, obligatory for all citizens, whether Italian or foreigners, for many basical purposes like renting a house, getting a job or enrolling in a university. The Codice Fiscale is a number, to have this number, even though you may not be subject to Italian taxes.

Why you will soon need a Codice Fiscale in Italy

Let us quote a few example where it is necessary:

A) when opening a bank or postal account
B) when buying a Vespa (or every other motor vehicle..) in Italy
C) when registering a vehicle in Italy
D) when signing any official contract, e.g. the lease for a flat (if the lease is going to be registered!)
E) when taxing out an Italian Insurance policy
F) when taking up an employment of any kind
G) when signing contracts with the utility companies (gas, electricity, water, phones, mobile phones, etc.)

To obtain your tax code number, simply go to the provincial tax office in Florence (ufficio imposte) in Via Santa Caterina D’Alessandria (3rd floor) between 8.30 and 12.00, Monday to Saturday, with your passport or National identity card and ask for a Codice Fiscale. You will be given a card with your number (usually is quite quick!)

If you prepare all these sheets in advance you can obtain all the documents you need in a reasonable time (one week) and you can definitely better enjoy your experience in town!


Get your Fiscal Code

6) Means of Subsistence – Proof of Financial Resources

This is a proof of your financial resources you need to live in Italy. You already have one proof, obtained to get your Visa. Before entering the Schengen Area you are required to show a document proofing your Means of Subsistence for Schengen Visa. This can be the same as you used to get your visa: a letter from your parents or front/back photocopies of your credit card. For study permits the documentation must certify the availability of at least 500 euros per month for the complete duration of the permit. For this purpose you can use also a bank letter coming from your own bank.

7) Enrollment letter for students

If you are a student, a professor or a researcher you need to show the enrollment letter you got from the cchool or from the university. For the first renewal of the permesso di soggiorno university students need to show a proof of the exams they have taken (for the first renewal at least 1 exam passed – at least 2 exams for subsequent renewals).

8) Contratto di lavoro subordinato for non-autonomous workers

Immigrants workers applying for the residence permit must be guided by their employer. For non-EU citizens who are coming to Italy to carry out work activities, including seasonal work, the employer have to request the permesso di soggiorno to obtain the nulla osta to work. This is an annual permit, released within the framework of the annual Decreto Flussi (Italian flows annual law). Non-EU citizens who convert a previous permesso di soggiorno authorizing their legal stay in Italy (family reasons, study, humanitarian reasons, subsidiary protection, minors) also can apply for from a residence permit for work reasons.

9) Travel Insurance

 The INA insurance is necessary for all students, regardless of the insurance coverage you have at home. To get the insurance, you must go to the main post office and get a ‘bollettino’ that must be filled out.

>>More update info by Polizia di Stato (available only in Italian!)

How to get a Medical Insurance

Italian Insurance Policy (same conditions as above). One reliable package is offered by Istituto Nazionale delle Assicurazioni (Convenzione INA – Ministero della Sanità): fixed amount of Euro 77.47 for one year and 38.73 Euro for 6 months or less to be deposited in the following postal account:
n° 71270003 in favour of Agenzia Generale di Roma INA ASSITALIA, Via del Tritone n° 181;
Also ask for the ‘StudentsVille insurance package for foreign students’ at

How to renew permit of stay in Italy

Before the expiry date, within 30-60 days before, it is necessary to renew your residence permit. To renew it you can go to the Questura, the post office, or to a trade union association with the credentials to log in at How can I renew my Permit to Stay? The renewal of the permesso di soggiorno’s deadline is merely indicative, and in case of non-compliance there is no immediate penalty.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.