In this article, we’re going to look at some Medici family facts, that are going to blow your mind and change the way you saw the promoters of the Renaissance. We’re going to look at 10 amazing facts about the Medici family that’ll make you understand the importance of this family and how much they actually brought, not only to Florence but the whole wide world. SO let’s get started with these interesting facts about the Medici family, don’t say we didn’t warn you about how amazing these Medici family facts are!
- The “fiorino d’oro” of the Republic of Florence, created by the Medici family, was the first European gold coin struck in sufficient quantities to play a significant commercial role since the seventh century.
- There was an « Obama » in the Medici family. Indeed, Alessandro de Medici, officially the son of Lorenzo II and a maid (but in reality, son of Pope Clemente VII and an Ethiopian slave), was announced first Duke of Florence in 1531
- Two Popes from the Renaissance era were Medici’s : Leone X and Clemente VII
- The Mandrake by Italian Renaissance philosopher Niccolò Machiavelli was staged for the first time in Florence for Caterina de Medici’s proxy wedding
- The piano was invented in the Medici court, by Bartolomeo Cristofori.
- Sandro Botticelli painted the Allegory of Spring (and perhaps also the Birth of Venus) for the Medici family
- Euridice by Jacopo Peri, is one of the first works of music and song known as opera today (a melodrama), created for the marriage of King Henry IV of France and Maria de Medici
- Two queens of France were from the Medici family : Caterina de Medici and Maria de Medici
- Caterina de Medici brought perfume to France and the use of a fork
- The Medici family is back in Florence : run to see The Medici Dynasty Show, a piece of ‘Museum Theatre’ and cultural aperitif to complete a visit to Florence
The Medici Dynasty Show, the ONLY English theatre show in Florence :
When: all year round, from Wednesday to Sunday at 7pm, 1 hour long.
Where: Florence / Piazza San Lorenzo 6
(Article by Emmy Rihet – The Medici Dynasty Show)